Friday, September 26, 2008

Camp Wood

For Labor Day, we decided to go camping.

We went to a place called 'Camp Wood'.

It turns out that it was very aptly named.

We WOOD have found the perfect camping spot...if we hadn't gotten there at 11:00 at night.

And our friends WOOD NOT have pitched their tents right next to this giant hollowed out tree (They were literally right next to it...one strong gust of wind, and they wood've gotten squished).

Our kids WOOD not have been able to have more fun than they did riding the quads that our friends brought up...

I WOOD have been spared the near heart attack my husband gave me as he came roaring into camp, taking some bumps way too fast, and flipped the quad right into our friends' van (luckily, he just got a small scratch...luckily, so did the van).

We WOOD have liked a little rain to cool things off and keep the dust down.
But we never WOOD have guessed it could rain for almost 24 hours straight...

We WOOD have gotten really wet without our 'shade' that doubled as a standards reminder for the teens in the group (it was made from a billboard from a Spanish radio station...featuring scantily clad women in fish net stockings, and a man in his underwear...this was of particular concern to the 2 members of the Bishopric that were with us...then again, one of them brought it).

Our tents WOOD have gotten soaked if it wasn't for all the extra tarps we brought...


We WOOD have enjoyed the rest and relaxation that comes from a good campout if we hadn't had to move tents away from hollow trees, move tents that had not fared well in the rain to dry out, and the re-set up camp or not get a lick of sleep due to the deluge going on outside and the constant fear that we were going to float away (literally...I have never, ever seen so much rain in my whole life).

Our family WOOD have gotten completely drenched in the night if it wasn't for the Hawleys and their camper and the fact that they generously made room for us in it.

We WOOD maybe have been able to talk Linda into going camping another time if she hadn't had this for her roommate that night.

If I WOOD have been taping it, you'd be getting a good laugh at Linda and myself as we got our feet stuck in the mud (I honestly can't remember the last time I laughed that hard...what does that say about me?...that I would laugh at my friend who's foot got stuck in the mud, so she almost did a face-plant right into it...I wouldn't have laughed so freely if she hadn't laughed at me sliding down the muddy embankment I was trying to climb. It was not graceful...but it was very funny!)

As luck WOOD have it, we WOOD have enjoyed perfect weather had we stayed. But we were worried we WOOD not be able to cross the already flooded wash...

As it was, we WOOD not have made it across if Evan hadn't come to tow us through it (it had been so much higher than this...there was debris a good 20 feet or so on either side from earlier).
We WOOD have said we'll never do that again...if it wasn't for faces like this...how could we dwell on the negative when the kids were having so much fun!

But it was a good thing we went home when we did. If we hadn't we WOODn't have found this
I guess you could say we WOODn't change a thing...



5 comments:

Karli said...

HaHaHaHaHa... Oh how I WOOD that I could be as funny as you! You just brightened my day :)

shauna said...

I wood never have guessed this story could be so much more funny with pictures and a detailed play by play. You really wood do it again?

Oh, and lets race our twin vans sometime.

Jen said...

how fun!! I love love love camping and that looks like a great trip!!
and you ended it w/ a great new car??!!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

I recognize that van....

Caroline C. Bingham said...

The big blue one.

And YOU HAVE A NEW CAR!!!! wOOt WooT