It's hard to believe that you've been part of our family for 12 years already! For family history's sake, I'll tell you a little about the day you were born. I was on bed rest because my blood pressure was really high. The day before you came, I went to the Dr. because I thought my water had broken. When he checked me out, he assured me that I still had 3 weeks to go and you were not going to be coming any time soon. So, I went back home, and tried to relax. Later that evening I started to have a really bad stomach ache. People from our ward were bringing us food, and I thought that the food they brought that night had made me sick. Dad had a test to study for, so I went ahead to bed while he studied...until about 1:00 am. At 2:00 am, I decided that this stomach ache I was having was hurting the worst every 4-5 minutes at pretty regular intervals. It occurred to me that I might be having contractions. So I woke Dad up (poor, sleepy Dad) and told him how I was feeling. After calling the doctor and consulting a book, we decided I was in labor and I should get to the hospital. We got there about 4:30 in the morning and just under 2 hours later, you were here. You were so tiny...only 5 lbs. 9 oz.
Here are 12 things I love about you, Rachel:
1. I love that you talk to me. About everything. I love that you aren't embarrassed or scared to talk to me about anything. I hope we will be able to keep that relationship as you get older.
2. I love that you are comfortable with who you are. You are a fun, unique girl and you don't try to be someone you're not.
3. I love your hair. You used to feel bad that you were the only one in our family without dark brown hair so I would tell you that people pay LOTS of money to have the beautiful highlights that you have. Recently, someone asked me if I let you highlight your hair. Nope! It's all YOU!
4. I love how you're protective of your little sister. Despite the normal sibling stuff, you are sweet and good to Hannah when it matters most. I love it when you do 'sleepovers' with her and I hear the 2 of you giggling into the night.
5. I love that you understand the value of hard work, and that you understand what kind of payoff there is for it.
6. I love your study habits. Dad and I are so proud that you've made the Principal's honor roll every quarter for the last 3 years! Wow!
7. I love hearing you sing. I know you don't really like to do it in public, but I hope you learn to because I'd love to be able to sing with you more often. For now, I'll just have to listen harder when you're in the shower!
8. I love that you love music. You are so talented at the piano and clarinet.
9. I love that you worked hard to earn your Faith in God award.
10. I love that you are obedient and a good example to your sister and your friends. You try to do what is right and you encourage others to do the same.
11. I love your sense of humor and the ability you have to laugh at yourself.
12. I love that since you started taking clogging, your feet can not stay still. It shows how when you love something - you LOVE it and do it always.
I love you, Rachel! Happy 12th Birthday. As Grandma's young woman leader would say, now "you're crossing the threshold into young womanhood." I could not be more excited for you.